A miniature snap-action switch, also known as the microswitch, can operate with less physical force. The microswitches make use of the tipping-point mechanism. Most of the people can afford to use these switches as they come at low cost along with high durability.
The most surprising thing about micro switches is that they come up with up to 1 million cycles. Some of its advanced models may even have up to 10 million cycles. A part of a switch converts the externally applied force into an internal spring force. So, less force is enough to actuate the microswitch.
Uses of microswitch:
Let us now see some of the uses of these micro switches.
- Microswitches are commonly used in most of the home appliances. They are used for the power supply in washing machines to turn the machine on and off. These switches are also helpful in detecting the door open and door close signals. A microswitch also helps in detecting the water level inside the machine.
- Coming to the refrigerators, these microswitches are used on the ice and water dispensers. Their role here is to check if the ice maker is in a proper position or not.
- Air conditioning devices also make use of micro switches. In these devices, the microswitch is used to ensure that the door panels on the appliance are closed. Another use of these switches in an air conditioning unit is that they serve as reset buttons.
- How do you think the rice cooker or microwave oven detects if the door is closed or not? It is done with the help of these microswitches only. So, the micro switches play the role of control panel switches in the microwave ovens and rice cookers.
- Apart from the home appliances, micro switches can also be used in industrial controls, convertible tops, machinery, and vehicles.
Points to keep in mind while dealing with a microswitch:
- See that all parts of the switch are in proper condition. Try to check its shock resistance. Most of these switches have built-in shock resistance to prevent the inner parts from getting damaged during shock.
- When these micro switches are used in inductive load circuits, make sure that you have proper contact protection. Remember not to connect the contacts on individual switches to different power supplies.
- Also, remember to take proper precautions while soldering the switch. Try to store the switches in a polyethylene bag to prevent discoloring. Make sure that the switch is not in direct contact with direct sunlight, as this might damage it very soon.
- Another essential thing to make a note of is not to use the switch in a silicon atmosphere. Things like silicon rubber, oil, grease may damage the switch and reduce its efficiency.
So, now you have read the uses and the ways of handling a micro switch. Next time when you buy a miniature snap-action switch, keep all the above points in mind and choose wisely.